Saturday, August 22, 2009
Tuesday, August 18, 2009
With Windows Live, you can organize, edit, and share your photos. Click here.
Griz Nez. Having technical difficulties on our land lines at the
moment, but are doing 30 minute checks with the boat crew (Todd) to
see what it looks like. May be another hour and he's home free. COME
(expected in the Channel) and is having difficulty keeping down
nutrition. We need some positive words from the faithful to pull him
through to the other side. BRING IT HOME ADAM!!!!!!!!
Monday, August 17, 2009
more tomorrow after I can actually move my arms above my elbows.
Thanks to some great piloting and crewmanship from Alicia and Will, I
made it landing somewhere in France in 11:40. All I know is that it
was a soft landing on a sandy beach which is perfectly fine with me.
Although, I will say that the hours of continuous white horses was not
such a good experience. If anyone is curious about how swimming in a
white horse feels like, roll down the longest hill in you neighborhood
for 5 hours straight and then try to stand up. In any event, chalk
another successful Channel crossing for Indy Swimfit (by the way
congrats on your success at USMS Nats; job well done coaches and all).
I want to thank the countless individuals who have provided us support
over the course of our training and throughout our swims. To say it
is a little overwhelming would be an understatement. However, we're
not done. Please tune in tomorrow for Adam's swim. He goes off at 8
or so in the morning. Will and I will try to keep the blog up to date
as soon as we receive information from the Dawkins' crew. We hope to
be signing the wall and having a pint at the White Horse tomorrow
Take care all and keep up the great support.
You're all the greatest.
tomorrow at 8 AM. This is fantastic news, as the predicted wind
conditions had already led to our getting a cancellation from the
captain earlier this evening. Amazingly though, the weather according
to the captain has "completely turned around" for the better. Let's
hope and pray it stays the course from now until then.
will keep you posted ...
Windows Live: Make it easier for your friends to see what you're up to on Facebook. Find out more.
Get back to school stuff for them and cashback for you. Try BingT now.
Hotmail® is up to 70% faster. Now good news travels really fast. Try it now.
Hear is some very cool breaking news –
If you live in Indy be sure to tune into 93.1 WIBC at 7:45 EST this
morning (Monday, 8/11) to hear the live interview with Will from the
boat as he and Alicia crew for Jeff.
muscle in the channel with Alicia and Will crewing at his side.
According to Will he left from Shakespeare beach, "looking like a
sprinter." So grab a cup of coffee and track Jeff as he racks up one
major stroke count.
Sunday, August 16, 2009
As mentioned in the previous post, Jeff will now be swimming with Lance Oram on Sea Satin. I've updated the tracking link under Jeff's name at the right to point to Sea Satin. Sea Satin has a better tracking device on it so I think you will be pleased with the real time tracking as opposed to the system I stuck y'all with.
Best wishes to Jeff (again)!
favorable, so unless the winds kick up, he'll be going out after 6
p.m. local time (1 p.m Eastern). That means he'll be swimming a good
chunk in the dark overnight. He's OK with that -- just ready to get on
with it. Amazingly, he's taking a nap right now. The guy is so chill,
ice I swear ice runs through his veins.
Jeff will be on a different boat than originally planned. He'll be on
Sea Satin with Adam's pilot. If you want to track him today, I think
you should be able to if you click "track Adam."
Thanks everyone for the good wishes. The support has meant a lot.
Saturday, August 15, 2009
Today was a beautiful day here in southeast England with sun and warm
temps apart from the high winds. Our sources tell us that winds in the
channel reached nearly 25 knots, which does not make for any sort of
an attempt. We did enjoy getting a taste of the wind-aided "white
horses" (white caps) in the harbor along with a few good mouthfuls of
salt water for Todd.
After speaking with the boat captain this evening, we will not be
swimming tomorrow morning due to the winds, but we may have an
opportunity tomorrow night. The start times tomorrow are approximately
7am and 5pm. A more likely attempt for Adam will likely come on Monday
or Tuesday. We are trying to remain patient and hopeful for the our
"opportunity for greatness."
Adam and Todd
Friday, August 14, 2009
There will be no swimming tonight (Saturday morning) on the channel
from Adam and Jeff. Sunday doesn't look promising either - high winds.
Today, we raided the Dover Castle and enjoyed many history lessons
from Henry II royal lines through WWII secret tunnels. (It shouldn't
be a surprise to you that Will was already up touring around the
castle grounds after his epic efforts yesterday.)
Keep you posted ...
Thursday, August 13, 2009
Randy, Allison (pilot) and Jim (observer) came up with the miracle cure of a 4oz. drink of 8x strength Maxim (carb drink) that broke the cycle about 1:30 into a severe bonk that had me unbelievably close to touching the boat and quiting. I got up to nearly 50% mental capacity and only yaked one more time before arriving in France.
Cathy and Randy were outstanding and I would be writing a difference story (with my tail between my legs) without them.
My parents were even able to hook up with me at the beach in France using GPS from the boat! How cool is that!
Sounds like the AIS tracking was not working today. Adam and Jeff's pilots use a different system (not run by volunteers) and it has been extremely reliable.
That's abridged version because I have had to rest my arms 4 times while writing this and eat a box of nutrigrain bars to keep the lightheadedness away. Time for some sleep.
Actually, one other thing, tomorrow looks like a good day for Jeff and possibly Adam if 2 spots are open with their pilots so check back tonight for more news. Cheers!
situation here in Dover. Will is swimming right now and should be on
or approaching the French coastline as we speak. He left at 3:30 or
so this morning and we've been receiving periodic text messages
updating us on his status throughout the course of the morning. I'm
expecting to post good news on his successful landing shortly. Adam
and I are still awaiting our call. We did have an opportunity to go
at 1:00 a.m. this morning, but the call came about 8:30 last night
after our pilot had already informed us that the weather was iffy and
would be so through the weekend, plus I would have been working on
about 3 hours of sleep after just getting here on Tuesday afternoon.
Needless to say Adam and I were both of the same mindset and it just
didn't feel right, so we declined. However, today both of us are
raring to go and are simply waiting for the call. It didn't help that
we could see France from the Harbor before our swim today. We
actually thought about hijacking a canoe and asking Alicia to take our
food packs. GIven the circumstances we deferred and decided to allow
our pilots to coordinate the swim. Check with us Tuesday if the swim
hasn't happened, Alicia will definitely need to get her paddle arms
on. That's all for now and we should know more after 7 p.m. this
evening (that's 2 p.m. EST/1 p.m. CDT).
Wednesday, August 12, 2009
Adam & Jeff's Pilot's don't confirm swim times until 7:15 the night before so we don't have any updates on them right now.
We are also pulling for Jordan who will be swimming with Pace Arrow tomorrow morning. Jordan is here from Canada and we met him at the beach on Tuesday.
Thank you for all of your support and pray for good weather.
Tuesday, August 11, 2009
Adam, Todd, and Zach and I had a great swim this morning in the harbor. It's about 65deg so that is good news for all. We met swimmers from Canada, Rockford, IL, Australia, and India at the beach. It's been cool to meet people from all over the world who come for this swim.
Jeff just arrived after being stuck on a plane with a flight attendant buzzer that was stuck on for the entire trip from O'hare. After Jeff went swimming we met the coach of a 15-year old Indian swimmer who, with a successful channes swim, will be the first person to swim all 9 seas.
Well Cathy, Randy, & Allison will make it in tomorrow so I'll have a complete crew. It'll be a rush from Heathrow to the boat.
Monday, August 10, 2009
Adam just got off the phone with news that the weather was too
unpredictable for an attempt to be made tonight - high winds and
gusts. We were packed and ready to go, but that will have to wait for
our next opportunity, which may come as early as Wednesday around 1-2
We will keep you posted with the latest news as it happens. By the
way, great swimming ISF at nationals! We have been keeping close tabs
on all of your fast swimming, especially you Clarke - "Let's get it on!"
Todd and Adam
Sunday, August 9, 2009
We would like to officially announce that we had our first round of
fish and chips this afternoon. (We are also happy to announce it
wasn't the first round of ales.) More importantly, we had a great swim
in the harbor with Will and Zach this morning. We couldn't get enough,
however Zach got out after 20 minutes ... breaststroker!
It appears that Adam will be getting the call to go for it Tuesday
morning at 1:30 am ... as Will said, "game on!" We look forward to
posting our progress as we stroke, kick, feed, puke, and shiver our
way across those North Atlantic waters of the English Channel.
Todd and Adam
Also, I've added Stuart Nightenhalser, another Indy swimmer, to the blog. He is over here for a swim on the same tide we are. Stuart is swimming tonight at around 1am local time (8PM EST) and I'm going to be crewing for him. I'm also going to try out txt updates to see if that system will work.
The weather in the channel has been quite good lately and there are rumors of bad weather coming in Friday of this week. The official start of our tide is Thursday the 13th and the best spot between us is 3rd so the pilots have requested that we try to go early. Keep watching the blog for dates but it looks like Adam may go early in the week and I may go Wednesday and most of the swims lately have been leaving in the middle of the night.